How to Pay My Bill

* Failure to receive a bill does not exempt customers from late payment penalties. The late payment charge is applicable to all customers. 

1. PAY ONLINE - Credit, Debit Card, E-Check(ACH) or set up an Automatic Payment (FEES APPLY - $1.00 for E-Check) 

GO PAPERLESS!!! Creat an account through the payment portal using your customer number (no dashes) and last bill amount. In the Customer Info box click on "Enroll in Paperless". By creating an account you can see your billing and transaction history, graphs of usage and billing, and make or setup payments.

2. Automatic Payment Service (APS) – Forms are available at the Village Hall for this service which allows for your bill to be paid automatically from your bank account, 3 business days prior to the due date. The form to set up this service is available at the Clerk's office or online. This is separate from the Community Connect Payment Portal.

3. In Person: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm

4. After Office Hours: Drop boxes (collected daily) are located at the entrance of East Troy Municipal Building and a drive-up box in the parking lot. No cash please.

5. By Mail: Village of East Troy, 2015 Energy Dr., East Troy, WI  53120. 


Moving? - Final Meter Readings Are Required: Final meter readings are required when there is a change of owner or occupant (if the tenant is responsible for the payment). Request a change in service or call 262-684-5479 for an appointment for the reading. The final meter reading is necessary so that the resident receives an accurate final billing and the Village has the new owner or occupant's information on file.


Utility Bills: - Utility Bills are sent out on the 15th of March, June, September, and December. 

For questions regarding your bill call 262-684-5479.


 Deferred Payment Agreement (DPA)

If you are unable to pay your utility bill due to extenuating circumstances, a Deferred Payment Agreement (DPA) will need to be submitted. The DPA must be completed prior to the due date to avoid the late fee. If you should default on your DPA, a 3% penalty will be applied to the remaining outstanding balance on account and the DPA will be void.

 Where can I obtain a DPA?

  1. The drop box located near the front door of the municipal building
  2. Village website,
  3. Clerk’s office

Where can I submit my completed DPA?

  1. Either of the two drop boxes
  2. Via email to
  3. Clerk’s office